South African Airways is the world class international carrier for South Africa operating an almost all Airbus fleet to include the A340-600 that connects South Africa to the world. Their Cadet Program scheme is similar to most major carriers that will work with low to no aviation experience granted that you have a passion for flight and the airline.
Some basic requirements must be met before the selection and training programme can commence.
Acceptance into the programme will depend on the following 11 factors:
- Matric Certificate/Grade 12/N3 or relevant qualification (SAQA accredited)
- Compulsory Mathematics or Statistics 101 and English, coupled with one of the following: Physical Science or Computer Science (D symbol on higher grade or C symbol on standard grade)
- South African citizen
- Preferably up to 25 years of age
- At least 1.60 metres tall
- Medically fit
- Prepared to undergo vigorous training (free of charge) for up to two years
- Prepared to sign a training bond
- Pass a security check
- Previous flying experience is not a pre-requisite. If you have flying experience, you should not have more than 60 flying hours
- Should you have made 3 unsuccessful applications before, your current application will not be considered
You can expect to go through an internship period with the regional airline before upgrading to the international airline. This is typical in the career path of any pilot.
To read more about the program, go to the South African Airways website.