The Cathay Pacific Second Officer Pilot Cadet Program is one of the most popular Cadet Programs in the aviation community. Cathay Pacific Airways offers pilots, and ‘wannabes’ a fair chance of living the dream.
The airline offers applicants the opportunity to apply using two separate schemes depending on your experience. Upon completion of their 61 week training program (if selected), you will be crowned the Second Officer rank and act as a relief pilot on their long haul routes. Cathay operates the Boeing 747, Boeing 777, Airbus A340, and the Airbus A330. The program is open to applicants from any country.
This cadet program is unique because you can potentially go from 0 hours to flying (more like monitoring) a Boeing 777. According to sources, you will be required to live in Hong Kong while wearing the Second Officer rank which can vary from 4 to 6 years. After that, there are bases worldwide such as Sydney, San Francisco, and New York.
It would be in your best interest to do some serious reading before applying to this program to see the pros and cons. The program, just like many others, is not free. You will get what’s called a ‘forgivable’ loan which will mysteriously disappear after a pre-determined employment time frame.
Their requirements are very basic to be able to apply. they are:
- Have an excellent command of written and spoken English
- Be physically fit and qualify for a Class I Medical
- Meet flight deck reach requirements which is subject to a functional reach test
- Have completed secondary school and have good passes in mathematics and science, or have a degree or diploma, or have passes in all ATPL subjects
- Share our passion for aviation
If you have any questions or information, please share with us all.
If you think you’re up for the challenge, why not apply?